Environmental Foundation (Guarantee) Limited
The Environmental Foundation (Guarantee) Limited (EFL) was established in 1981 as a non- profit public interest law group, with a mission to conserve and enhance the natural environment of Sri Lanka. Since its initiation, EFL has been actively involved in protecting and conserving the environment through mediation, litigation, and scientific investigations, research and projects.
EFL is looking for an experienced, dynamic, competent and committed technical specialist to lead the science division of EFL in providing scientific input required for projects, investigations and litigation. The successful candidate will effectively execute technical projects/consultancies, managing the entire project cycle.
Head of Science
Station: Environmental Foundation (Guarantee) Limited, Colombo 05.
period: One year (extendable on annual basis)
Commitment: 5 days per week or as required by work (full time)
reporting line: CEO
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading all scientific work of the organisation including EFL projects and investigations.
- Project conceptualization and submission for funding calls.
- Preparation of documents and alerts on possible sources of funding and joint
- Ensure smooth implementation of all science-based projects and
- Coordinate and carry out all investigations undertaken by the organisation.
- Comment on scientific reports including EIAs, and be responsible for
engaging with experts for additional timely input.
- Provide scientific support for other inquiries.
- Assist legal team and CEO in cross-cutting issues that require technical,
- Represent EFL in scientific forums, discussions and meetings.
- Ensure the accuracy of all the scientific reports sent out from the organisation.
- Responsible for on-time delivery and accuracy of EFL scientific publications.
- Liaise with project partners and stakeholders.
- Responsible for managing staff working in the division and their HR-related activities, including assisting with their career development.
- Ensure international presence of EFL in terms of science and advocacy.
- Ensure accuracy of information used in communication by EFL.
- Any other duty as deemed necessary by the CEO and Board of Directors.
- A minimum of a master’s degree qualification in environmental science, conservation, wildlife management, environmental engineering or any other related field.
- A minimum of five years’ progressive experience in a senior managerial position.
- Previous experience in an environmental organisation/NGO/CSO is advantageous.
- Previous experience in proposal writing/fund raising is desirable.
- A good command of the English language along with Sinhala and/or Tamil languages.
- Excellent written/spoken communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to inspire and lead a young and dynamic team.
- Self-motivated individual with strong analytical and research skills.
- Innovative problem solver and ability to meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Genuine interest in environmental issues and public interest litigation and a passionate
If interested, please e-mail your CV including two non-related referees together with a cover letter to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line, to reach us within two weeks of this advertisement.